Robotics Case Studies
- This case study is filed under:
Automated Assembly System
Midwest Engineered Systems Inc. Posted 01/09/2014
System must perform the following (3) operations:
- Spin weld injection molded port to water outlet body
- Install multiple brass compression limiters in water outlet base
- Perform leak testing of completed assembly
- System must include capacity for future additions
- System cycle time of 35 seconds or less part to part
- Robotic Dunnage Unload: Material handling Robot uses 2D vision system to roughly locate part in dunnage and pick part from dunnage. Robot places part in re-grip stand and re-grips part.
- Spin Welding Station: Robot moves part to spin welder to weld port onto assembly
- Pallet Load Station: Material Handling Robot loads spun welded part onto pallet conveyor system, pallet is lowered and released into the assembly and inspection system
- Compression Limiter Install Station: Pallet is raised and locked into position. Limiters are blow fed to a Gantry robot gripper. The limiter is then pressed into position. A total of 4 limiters are installed.Â The pallet is unlocked, lowered onto the conveyor, and released.
- Leak Test and Marking Station: Pallet is raised and locked into position. All necessary ports are automatically plugged and the part is subjected to pressure testing for leaks. Laser will mark part with a date code for good assemblies. The pallet is unlocked, lowered onto the conveyor, and released.
- Vision Camera System: Pallet is raised and locked into position. 2D vision system inspects part for correct assembly and gross material defects. The pallet is unlocked, lowered onto the conveyor, and released.
- Unload Station: Pallet is raised and locked into position. Robot will unload the assembled part from the pallet conveyor system and place good parts into outgoing dunnage. Parts that fail the leak test or vision inspection are loaded into a reject chute for disposition by an operator.
- Higher quality
- Flexibility for future expansion
- Virtual “lights out” operation