Robotics Case Studies
- This case study is filed under:
Large Part Handling & Deburring
by Paula Kyle
Intensive manual labor required to deburr engine crankshaft and provide a way to check for quality of previous operation.
Design of a turnkey system to automated the process of deburring and performing a quality check of previous operation on two crankshaft styles. The robot is able to manipulate a 300 plus pound crankshaft, make quality repeatability, would 100% inspect for drilling defects, and would automatically remove defective parts out of the system. This system featured:
- A constant force device with a tool changer applies just the right pressure and rotational speed to perform the following operations: Chamfering, Probing.
- Automated Concepts, Inc. Head and Tail Stock (HTST) provides precise positioning.
- A SpeedeBurr deburring tool with a floating housing that can adjust to casting variations.
- Inbound conveyor from a drilling machine.
- ACI manufactured Robot Transport Unit.
- Fanuc S-900w Robot.
- ACI manufactured Head and Tail Stock (2x).
- Fanuc M-16i Robot.
- Inbound Empty Pallet Conveyor.
- Outbound Loaded Pallet Conveyor.
- Outbound Conveyor to Heat Treat.
Description of Process:
The crankshaft enters the cell from a drilling machine. The S-900w picks up the crankshaft and places it into a headstock/tailstock positioner. The S-900w probes all holes checking for drill breakage and drill drift. If the crankshaft fails, the robot removes it from the system. If it passes the quality check the S-900w makes a tool change and chamfer the main oil holes. Then the crankshaft is picked up by the S-900w and placed into a (headstock/tailstock) positioner in front of the M-16i. The M-16i deburrs all the edges to the crankshaft and the compound angle oil holes. When the deburr is complete, the S-900w moves the crankshaft to the heat treat furnace conveyor or outbound conveyor pallet. Note: The S-900w can transfer empty pallets to either side of the pallet conveyors. This allows the system to be also fed from the pallet conveyors.