Posted on 12/09/2016
London, Ontario, Canada
At JMP Automation, we design, build and integrate world-class automation systems leveraging the use of robotics and machine vision. We solve unique and challenging manufacturing problems for customers in industries including Tube and Pipe, Food, Automotive, and Consumer Packaged Goods. Our focus on integrity, excellence, and creating exceptional customer experiences are core to our operations.
Working on the Automation team is both challenging and rewarding. You will work with some of the most talented and dynamic engineering minds in the industry, great customers and develop life-long relationships.
As a Mechanical Designer, you will be involved in the design, and deployment of world-class automation systems.
Major Duties & Responsibilities
- Perform mechanical design and lead the design team(s) on projects
- Input into design strategy including:
- Design and release process
- Encourage critical thinking and feedback
- Encourage interdisciplinary relationships
- Drawing package requirements for release to production
- Standard parts and components
- Modularity of design
- Vendor relationship management:
- Assist in managing and developing existing and new second and third level tier suppliers (i.e. second tier – conveyors, EOAT, etc.; third tier – bearings, drives, etc.)
- Push for enhanced third tier supplier relationships, better discounts, and selected standard components
Minimum Skills & Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering with practical mechanical design aptitude
- Experience in the field of automation / industrial machinery is an asset
- Able to analyze designs and systems for compliance to applicable standards (i.e. OSHA, CE or customer specific)
- Knowledge of common fabrication and manufacturing techniques (i.e. machining, laser cutting, welding, etc.)
- Experience in producing working drawings, detail drawings and bills of materials for equipment, sub-assemblies or product
- Experience with review drawings for accuracy, material selection, proper machining techniques, finishes, and hardness
- Proficient in AutoCAD and SolidWorks.
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Driven to take on new initiatives, roles and responsibilities in a growing team
Minimum Education & Experience
Bachelor’s degree in engineering with practical mechanical design aptitude
APPLY FOR THIS POSITION