Electro-Mechanical Engineer - ATI Industrial Automation
ATI Industrial Automation is the leading engineering-based world developer of robotic accessories and robot arm tooling. Recognized throughout the world for quality and reliability, ATI products are improving productivity in an array of industries, including Robotics, Aerospace, Biomedical, Automotive, Electronics, Applied Research, Academics, Nuclear and Governmental. In our continued quest for excellence in our products and service, we are seeking an experienced, hardworking, team-oriented Electro-Mechanical Design Engineer.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
General Engineering/Project Management Responsibilities
- Use engineering principles to design and modify robotic end effectors and tools. You will work with other engineers, designers and Manufacturing personnel to complete design projects. You will communicate with managers and Manufacturing and Sales staff concerning your design project.
- Investigate and resolve technical problems involving product performance, production equipment or facility systems affecting production.
- Perform a variety of engineering tasks in the planning and design of electro-mechanical products, manufacturing and assembly tooling, electrical enclosures and cable assemblies. Determine and establish specifications through engineering calculations and layouts. Use appropriate engineering tools such as, CAD, FMEA, DFA, in the successful completion of design projects.
- As a Project Leader you will coordinate all phases of development including creation, prototypes, testing and analysis. Establish and monitor adherence to time lines and schedules. Complete all project documentation required, direct the efforts of assigned support personnel as required to ensure on time project completion, be responsible for tracking the cost of components with minimizing cost as one design criteria and work closely with all areas of the company to successfully complete the projects.
- Work with component suppliers, manufacturers, outside labs and other service providers as needed to assure the most cost effective, robust designs are implemented.
- Continue to learn new skills and techniques through in-house training, outside training/coursework, seminars, trade shows and appropriate use of the internet and participate in the training of other members of the engineering team in these skills.
- Communicate with customers and the Sales staff to determine all the technical specifications for a project. Continue customer interface as required during the design, production, implementation and trouble shooting of the product, including plant trips as required.
- Provide support and assistance to coworkers as appropriate to enhance the performance and success of the engineering department and the company as a whole.
- Product design and development done by the study of the robotic and automation market for new ideas (e.g. patents, trade magazines, trade shows, plant visits) and personal creativity.
Electrical Engineering Tasks
Provide electrical engineering support and development for existing and future electrical products. The primary focus will be on supporting the development of new products in the Electrical Module group. This shall include:
- Developing improvements in current electronics. This will include the development of new PCBs to facilitate module assembly, reduce overall cost and parts count, and/or to provide a significant functional advantage.
- Check the customer and assembly drawings of electrical modules created by the Electrical Module group.
- Support and troubleshoot current electronic designs.
- Develop engineering standards relating to the electrical characteristics of ATI products.
- Electrical schematic creation in Orcad.
Mechanical Engineering Tasks
- Create models and drawings in SolidWorks or equivalent solid modeling CAD package. Prepare detail and assembly drawings for complex products and equipment. Design and develop new models, mechanisms, or adaptations for a particular product or application.
- Develop correct proportions, giving consideration to stress, speed, weight, proper function and manufacturability.
Perform tolerance analysis to ensure proper fit/function of completed assemblies and to minimize parts cost.
Minimum Skills and Abilities Required
- Demonstrated SolidWorks solid modeling and detail/assembly drawing proficiency.
- Solid history designing electro-mechanical components for automation.
- Demonstrated knowledge of ASME Y14.5 – 2009 Standards.
Proficient with Microsoft programs (Word, Excel, Outlook, Access, and Visio).
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
BSEE is required and three (3) years of electro-mechanical designing experience.