Editorial: Featured Articles
RIA encourages members to submit editorial for publication as Featured Articles. As a member of RIA, you can take advantage of this free membership benefit.
Guidelines for submitting draft material for review and approval by the RIA are as follows:
- Featured Articles should average between 1,000 – 1,500 words in length.
- Structure your writing by means of a straightforward outline. Use subheadings to provide purposeful breaks.
- Use appropriate artwork, including B&W or color photos, charts and graphs, line drawings, and computer graphics. It is preferred that files be submitted electronically via e-mail. Submissions by mail on a 3.5 in. disk, ZIP disk, or CD can be made as an alternative. Preferred artwork file formats, in order, are: .GIF and .JPG (JPEG). While these are the preferred formats, others may be acceptable as well. Please contact RIA to discuss. A minimum resolution of 300 dpi is required for all formats used. Each figure should be accompanied by a caption no longer than 20 words.
- Style and vocabulary should be simple and clear, with word selections found in standard dictionaries. If it is necessary to use words that may be unfamiliar to the reader, explain these words parenthetically in easily understood terms.
- Please include a biographical sketch, which provides both professional and educational backgrounds.
- A section discussing justification of technology topic usage (cost or other) should be included.
- General considerations to remember when preparing a Featured Article submission:
- Write in the active voice.
- Include original material. Courtesy and copyright laws require identification of the source of borrowed material, however, space limitations prevent use of footnotes or reference listings. Attributions must be incorporated within the text.
- Featured Articles should be bias-free and not promote your company's products or services. A de-emphasize of manufacturer model numbers/names can be achieved by using a generic product presentation approach instead. An example: "ABC Company uses an XYZ Company six-axis robot" (preferred). "ABC Company uses an XYZ Company Model Number XX robot" (avoid).
- Featured Articles should not disparage competitive methods, processes, or products.
- A presentation of any challenges along with potential corresponding solutions is helpful.
- It is preferred that the completed manuscript be sent via e-mail in MS Word format. Artwork files cannot be embedded within the article. These files must be saved and sent separately in the previously mentioned formats.
If you have any questions, or you wish to submit an abstract for future publication posting consideration, please contact: