- This editorial is filed under:
- Automotive Component
- Consumer Goods/Appliances
- Life Sciences Pharma Biomed Medical Devices
- Rubber & Plastics
- Off-Road/Heavy Equipment
- Robot Manufacturing
- Building Products/Materials
- Fabricated Metals
- Printing & Publishing
- Arc Welding
- Wood Products
Checklist for Success With Linear Motion Automation Devices for Robot Tracks, Gantry Robots, Vertical Robot Lifts
Güdel, Inc. Posted 05/27/2015
- Right-size it : What is the right size for the loads and speeds of your application? Too much machine is a waste. Too small is worse. Güdel Applications Engineers are available to help you get it just right.
Reach study : In some cases a smaller robot on a track meets the need better than a stationary larger robot. In some cases a robot riser may be needed, which impacts the load and moment requirements of the track. Perform reach studies in advance and you will get the stroke you need.
End effectors and tools : Identify up front the process requirements at the tool. This will define the set of cables and hoses that need to be routed to the end of the robot or the gantry and will drive the size and radius of the cable management system.
Height constraints : This may impact the type of gantry or overhead robot solution that is feasible.
Expertise : Robot tracks, gantry robots and vertical robot lifts are specialty devices that significantly impact the performance of your system. If linear motion technology is not the main business of the supplier consider it a red flag.
Maintainability : Make sure the tracks and gantries you select are easily to maintain. Key questions: What effort is required to replace a roller bearing? Do you need to remove the robot and carriage to make that replacement?
Track record : Work with a supplier that has a proven track record of standard products that are reliable, maintainable and cost effective for the integrator and for the end user.
Service quality : Work with a supplier that can provide service at the integration site and at the end user, independent of where around the world equipment is installed.
Homework : Work with a supplier that can assist in right sizing the application through demonstrable calculations, including sizing the track or gantry, sizing the motor and gearbox, and advising on process application issues.
- Lead time : Work with a supplier that can meet your lead time requirements. How can you tell? Refer to tips 1-9 on “Checklist for Success with Linear Motion Automation Devices such as Robot Tracks, Gantry Robots, Vertical Robot Lifts.”