Robotics Industry News
Nilfisk and Blue Ocean Robotics announce strategic partnership to develop portfolio of cleaning robots
Blue Ocean Robotics Posted 10/04/2017
Today Nilfisk and Blue Ocean Robotics announce that the two companies enter a strategic partnership to develop intelligent cleaning machines and robots for both the Danish and global markets. The partnership complements Nilfisk's existing robotics activities - an area that is expected to comprise up to 10 percent of the company's turnover within 5-7 years.
Odense/Brøndby, Denmark Nilfisk expects that up to 10 percent of the company’s turnover will come from autonomous machines - or robotics - within the next 5-7 years. A new strategic partnership between Nilfisk and the specialized Danish robot company, Blue Ocean Robotics, will be part of realizing that goal. The partnership, which complements Nilfisk’s existing partnership and initiatives within the area, is ambitious and will lead to a robot transformation of selected Nilfisk cleaning machines over the coming years.
According to Hans Henrik Lund, CEO of Nilfisk, the partnership is a further step towards meeting customer needs for accurate and reliable cleaning:
- We estimate that approximately 70 percent of the cost of professional cleaning goes to labor. At the same time, the cleaning industry is one of the industries with the highest employee turnover. We therefore experience a significant need among our customers to introduce autonomous machines that can solve standardized cleaning tasks so that cleaning operators can be used for other assignments.
Hans Henrik Lund emphasizes that Nilfisk is already well underway with its technological transformation:
- We have a clear strategy to develop our product portfolio in partnership with highly-specialized technology companies that are the best in their field. We already have good experiences with this, and we are looking forward to starting this partnership with Blue Ocean Robotics, which complements our other partnerships very well.
Blue Ocean Robotics and Nilfisk will develop selected Nilfisk products in close collaboration with strong customers from the cleaning industry. The process is a highly proven approach for the Funen-based robot company, which has built its business on so-called "disruptive innovation". This includes, among other things, a number of integrated technology platforms (TP-X) and a solid partnership model (RoBi-X), where Blue Ocean Robotics – in collaboration with the partner – drives development and technology, while the partnering companies are responsible for sales, service and production.
the three Co-CEOs in Blue Ocean Robotics, Claus Risager, Rune K. Larsen and John Erland Østergaard says:
- There is a great match between the technologies and competencies of Blue Ocean Robotics, and the solid market position Nilfisk has. It provides an optimal environment for creating the robots of the future for the cleaning industry, which will undoubtedly gradually change its character over the coming years, a development we are happy to contribute to.
- At the same time, it is gratifying that two Danish companies have joined forces. Co-creation partnerships like these will bode well for the future and will draw attention internationally in both the cleaning industry and the robot industry, where Denmark plays a significant role.
Chairman of Blue Ocean Robotics, Jørn Tolstrup Rohde concludes:
- This strategic partnership with Nilfisk gives Blue Ocean Robotics the impetus for introducing the company's technology platform, TP-X, in a broader context than previously. There is no doubt that both companies are moving in a very exciting direction, and that this partnership will support that.
About Blue Ocean Robotics
We Create and Commercialize Robots! Blue Ocean Robotics apply robot technology to create solutions and innovation for end-users and new businesses in partnerships. Through the RoBi-X partnership program we create robots to improve quality-of-life, working environments and productivity. The RoBi-X partnership program is for anyone looking to optimize their business, their way-of-doing and improve competitiveness.
Nilfisk is a leading global player within the professional cleaning industry. With more than 110 years of innovation experience, Nilfisk is dedicated to delivering reliable solutions and products of high quality that pave the way for a safer, more productive and clean daily life for millions of companies and private homes around the world. Nilfisk has its own sales companies in 45 countries, and its products are sold in more than 100 countries.