Senior Automation Engineer
Posted on 07/10/2020
A Senior Automation Engineer collaborates with coworkers, customers, and suppliers to utilize the latest technologies while integrating equipment into distribution and production solutions and throughout the material handling industry. This involves understanding the customer’s goals and objectives in order to develop and support smart engineered solutions. The Senior Automation Engineer is responsible for all phases of a project, routinely across several projects at once. These include research and concepting, applications sales support, component selection, electrical drawing package creation, device configuration and troubleshooting, HMI and PLC tagging from an I/O list, programming and development utilizing standards or custom code, simulations, in-house and on-site debug and integration, and post startup escalation support. A Senior Automation Engineer advises the Lead Automation Engineers and the Manager in automation issues such as processes, designs, hardware, programming methodology, and interface development. Technologies used to automate systems including equipment and robots utilize 2D and 3D machine vision, barcode readers, VFDs, servos, and pneumatic and hydraulic systems.
Major Duties & Responsibilities
Job Responsibilities Essential Functions
- Create, modify and debug PLC, robot, and HMIs per customer and Bastian Solutions specifications and standards
- Collaborate with Mechanical Design engineers to create simulation layouts to perform reach studies, cycle time estimates, and offline programming
- Create and verify detailed AutoCAD drawings
- Create electrical bills of materials per AutoCAD drawings and schematics
- Release system electrical components for Project Manager approval
- Troubleshoot and modify electrical wiring, red line electrical schematics, update AutoCAD drawings to create As-Built packages at project shipment and As-Installed packages at project completion
- Develop and maintain program code and library standards
- Effectively communicate schedules, plans, and training to personnel at end user facilities
- Create and modify operator manuals, standard operating procedures, and troubleshooting guides
- Commission and document settings for system devices, including IP addresses, photo eye logic functions, and drive parameters • Attend training and become certified in applicable technologies or programs
- Be a team member and contributor within the office, providing help outside of department scope when required
- Deliver projects that meet or exceed customer’s expectations, developing repeat customers.
- Attend meetings and functions on time with active involvement
- Participate in and lead internal training sessions for ongoing career & skills development across departments
Travel Requirements Description % of Time Spent: Site commissioning and training 30%
Post startup escalation support 10% Preferred
Minimum Skills & Abilities
Skills & Qualifications
- Primary vendor certifications (ABB, Fanuc, Rockwell, Siemens)
- Hands-on learner
- Electrical and Mechanical hands-on aptitude with troubleshooting know-how
- AutoCAD Electrical experience
- Familiar with Microsoft Office product suite
- Service skills in a customer facing role
- Effective problem solving
- Time management
- Able to multi-task and set priorities based on project management direction
- Technical writing
- Willingness to share skills, knowledge, and expertise
Minimum Education & Experience
- Bachelor of Engineering or Technology and 6+ years’ relevant industry experience required.
- Hands on electrical and mechanical capabilities will be frequently relied upon.
- Computer literacy, specifically with MS Office products, Rockwell/Allen Bradley software packages, Siemens software packages, robotic programming, and AutoCAD Electrical preferred.
APPLY FOR THIS POSITION