Comau LLCUpdated 06/21/2018
The MATE Fit for Workers exoskeleton uses an advanced spring-based passive structure. MATE delivers lightweight, breathable and highly effective postural support without the need for batteries, motors or other failure-prone devices. It is also compact and ergonomically designed thanks to the partnership between Comau, ÖSSUR, a leading non-invasive orthopedics company and IUVO, a spin-off company of The BioRobotics Institute (Scuola Superiore Sant’Anna) specialized in wearable technologies. MATE is fully able to replicate any movement of the shoulder while adhering to the body like a “second skin”.
Reflecting Comau’s vision and commitment to innovative, open and easy-to-use technologies, MATE is an important part in the company’s HUMANufacturing Technology strategy, a concept in which people are protagonists within the smart factory together with cutting-edge, digital tools, enabling technologies and ‘intelligent’ industrial robotics within a networked production system. It is also the first of a series of wearable robotics that Comau is developing and commercializing in partnership with IUVO and Össur. A fundamental aspect of the collaboration is the joint desire to progress and evolve human-machine collaboration within diverse sectors, including biomedical, manufacturing and consumer. MATE was designed and developed at the Comau HUMANufacturing Innovation Center in Pontedera (Pisa), Italy.
- Designed in close collaboration with factory workers engaged in manual activities
- Naturally comfortable, breathable postural structure
- Compact structure fully follows the movements of the upper limb without resistance or misalignment
- Passive spring-based mechanism – no risk of battery or motor failure batteries because the system does not use them
- Reduction of shoulder muscle activity for some muscles of up to 50%
- Users can do the same tasks with less fatigue
- Consistent, ergonomically-assisted movement support increases the quality and precision of repetitive tasks
- Users can improve their quality of work
REQUEST A QUOTE