Pioneering Technology for the Challenges of Today's Marketplace
Agriculture Robots Are Experiencing High Demand for the Toughest Agriculture Challenges
Agriculture robots are typically mobile robots used to automate traditionally labor-intensive agriculture practices, with some being fully autonomous and some being semi-autonomous. In many ways, agriculture robots help address specific societal problems surrounding our growing human populations by improving crop yields, monitoring environmental footprints and easing a widespread labor shortage. They also help farmers to increase efficiency, reduce operating costs and enable the latest precision agriculture techniques.
The market for agricultural robots will be worth $12 Billion by 20221. Between 2017 and 2022, the market is expected to grow at an impressive 20.71% compound annual growth rate (CAGR)2. The societal factors mentioned above, and the possibility of accompanying regulations, are one reason agriculture robots are rising in demand. Primarily, however, the benefits of precision agriculture help justify the investment in robotics and give farmers a competitive edge.
As agriculture robots rise in popularity, they’ve been incorporated into nearly every aspect of the agriculture process. Equipped with advanced vision sensors to successfully account for application variables, some of the latest technologies include:
- robotic spraying for weed control;
- automated smart harvesting of crops;
- robotic planting and seeding;
- and robotic pruning and thinning.
Nursery automation has been another important robotic technology as urban and vertical farming initiatives strive to meet the needs of an ever-increasing population.
Agriculture robots play an important role in addressing some very specific human population growth concerns while, at the same time, acting as a major driver of efficiency and cost-savings for farmers. The technology has matured greatly in the past few years and is expected to grow at a fast rate in the coming years.
- Markets and Markets, “Agricultural Robots Market by Type (UAVs, Milking Robots, Harvesting Systems, Driverless Tractors), Offering (Hardware-Automation & Control System, Sensor & Monitoring Device; Software; Services), Application, and Geography - Global Forecast to 2022”
- Grand View Research, “Agricultural Robots Market Analysis By Product (UAV, Driverless Tractor, Milking Robots, Materials Management), By Application (Field Farming, Dairy, Animal, Soil & Crop Management), & Segment Forecasts, 2018 – 2025”
Join RIA Today
Connect with the Global Robotics CommunityLearn More