Pioneering Technology for the Challenges of Today's Marketplace
Proven Efficacy for Protecting Integrity of Critical Infrastructure
Inspection robots are mobile service robots with advanced vision sensors, typically used for the inspection of critical and high-value infrastructure. Inspection robots are either semi-autonomous, where they’ve been taught established paths, or fully autonomous, able to navigate themselves. Inspections are more accurate when performed by robots, and because robots can operate for long periods of time without breaks, they provide more comprehensive inspections than manual processes, especially in dangerous settings.
The global market for inspection robots is expected to grow at a compound annual growth rate of 21% through 20211. The primary factor driving this growth is the need for robotic inspection of large, high-value infrastructure in the oil, gas, and petrochemical industry. The steadily advancing capabilities of inspection robots, as well as companies’ ability to quickly accrue return on investment (ROI), are also contributing factors to the market growth of inspection robots.
There’s been a rapid proliferation of robotic inspection applications over the past few years, such as:
- mobile and aerial robots are being used for remote visual and ultrasonic inspection of pipes;
- inspection of ferromagnetic structures in nuclear and energy applications;
- quick visual inspection of tanks, pipes, vessels, large plates and structures;
- mobile and remote automated inspection of onshore oil and gas levels, leakage, surface conditions and acoustic anomalies;
- autonomous sewer inspection;
- and robotic inspection of wind turbine rotor blades.
Inspection robots offer many benefits over manual inspection processes, especially in dangerous scenarios. As the need for inspection of large infrastructure increases, demand for inspection robots will rise accordingly. Inspection robots have already proven valuable in protecting the integrity of critical infrastructure.
- Technavio, “Global Inspection Robots Market 2017-2021”
Join RIA Today
Connect with the Global Robotics CommunityLearn More